Bouncy houses have become the new trend lately. From stores having super sales to a child’s birthday party, bouncy houses add that extra little something. While parents can relax and have a conversation with each other or a store attendant, the children can amuse themselves in a rather safe environment. They can run around and expel some energy without hurting themselves or others. No worries, right? However, what was once thought of as a safe environment for children is now being called attention to.
Brenda Sanderson attended a graduation party one weekend with her two sons. The party was full of family, friends and even a bouncy house. The boys had a blast jumping, sliding and just being boys. However, two days later Brenda noticed something unusual. Her ten year old son’s body was covered with marks. Her son told her he thought the plastic left a burn from sliding around in the bouncy house. However, that wasn’t the case.
Days later, Brenda took her son to the doctor as the sores continued to spread all over his body. The doctor told her the sores were actually a staph infection caused by bacteria in the bouncy house. It’s easy for bacteria to stick to the plastic of the bouncy house, especially when it is not cleaned properly.
The next time there’s a bouncy house on the premises, it is important to make sure it’s cleaned and well-maintained before allowing children to play. If not, any open cut is at risk.