In today’s health conscious society, almond milk is a great alternative to whole milk. However, almond milk is more expensive. Get the best of both worlds by making your own almond milk. Bonus: You know what has (or has not) been added when you make it yourself.
What you will need:
- Raw whole almonds
- Filtered water
How to make your own homemade almond milk:
- Cover raw whole almonds with filtered water and soak overnight (or at least 8 hours)
- After eight hours, the almonds should be swollen and the water should be milky. Pour contents through a strainer to drain milky water and rinse with fresh water.
- Add swollen almonds to a blender and add more filtered water (approximately half almonds and half water)
- Blend one minute. Liquid should now look like creamy milk
- Strain through fine mesh strainer to remove any chunks from the almond milk
- Allow liquid to drip through the mesh strainer, then squeeze to force the remaining milk through the mesh strainer
- Flavor as desired (author used vanilla and cinnamon) and whisk
- Pour into glass bottles and store in the refrigerator.