Most parents have put their children in a shopping cart at the grocery store. Vivienne Wardrop spent 10 days in the hospital with her son after she put him in a shopping cart seat. The mother didn’t take the boy anywhere since he was in the cart, so she knew that something in the store had to make him sick.
Wardrop’s son became ill the day after they were at the store. He couldn’t keep anything in his stomach. The mother gave her son fluids, but nothing helped. After going to the doctor, the mother was advised to continue giving the child fluids and to let him rest as much as possible.
He continued to be very sick, so she took him to the hospital. Blood work was done, and it was determined that the child had several viruses. These including meningitis and salmonella poisoning.
The mother had no idea that her son had so many viruses coursing through his system, especially after simply sitting in a grocery shopping cart. The young boy was in the hospital for almost two weeks, but he is now back to playing and being his old self. His mother wants others to know that just because it’s a cart from a store, it doesn’t mean that children can’t get sick.