Babies are curious and uneducated, and they love to put all kinds of things in their mouths – but this can sometimes be deadly. There was a little boy lucky to be alive after he swallowed a wrist watch. The boy’s parents noticed that he was having trouble breathing and they rushed him to the hospital after they realized what happened.
The doctors took a pair of surgical scissors and removed the watch from the boy’s airway. Fortunately, there was no permanent damage to the boy’s lungs or airway. His parents are relieved, but they want to remind people that babies can choke on almost anything.
There are a few steps you can take in order to save a choking baby: The first thing you will need to do is lay the infant face down on your forearms. Point the baby’s head downward and administer five gentle but firm back blows with the palm of your free hand. If the object does not come out, then you will need to turn the infant over and place two fingers between the infant’s breastbone. Administer chest compressions. The compressions should be 1/2 to 1/3 inch deep.
Continue the back blows and compressions until the object is removed. If the infant becomes unconscious, then you should do CPR for one minute and then call 911.