Baking cakes in a jar may seem like something that is unsafe and impossible, but it can actually be done very easily. What many people do not know is that jars made for canning are strong enough to be able to withstand an incredible amount of heat without breaking.
Not only can these jars tolerate being boiled for the purpose of making pickles and jams, you can also put them in your oven without any fear of them shattering. Here is how you go about making a cake in a jar:
1. Put 2 1/2 cups of fresh fruit into four 1/2 pint canning jars.
2. Combine 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of flour and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Use a whisk to mix it up, then pour it on the fruit in each jar.
3. Place a square of butter on the top of the fruit in each jar.
4. Place the jars in a baking dish. The dish should be filled with dried beans to prevent the jars from sliding around.
5. Bake at 350 F for one hour.
6. Let the jars cool completely after they are done baking.
7. You can top off each jar with whipped cream before serving. These cakes in a jar are able to be stored in your refrigerator for up to one week before they will start to go bad. Larger jars can be used, but you will need to adjust the baking time.