Every two weeks in America, a child in America dies after being hit by a piece of over-sized furniture. These tragedies can be prevented by making sure that the furniture is properly-anchored. Large televisions, appliances and furniture should be anchored.
A two-year-old named Theodore McGee died in February 2016 after a piece of furniture toppled over on him. The dresser fell on him while he was sleeping. His parents had no idea that the furniture had fallen until they checked on their son the following morning. They did not hear the furniture fall, and Theodore did not scream.
In order to prevent tragedies like this from occurring in the future, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission has released a video offering tips that will help keep kids safer at home. They recommend that people use anti-tip devices. As the name suggests, these devices keep furniture from toppling over. Anti-tip devices are inexpensive and easy to install. They can also save lives.
The video shows a fake baby doll being crushed by a dresser and television. The video also shows how to place anti-tip devices behind furniture. The makers of the video encourage people to use these devices because they can prevent tragedies like what happened to Theodore.